Search This Blog

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Stapledon to Moskowitz

Stapledon, William Olaf. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). 1 page, dated 30 March 1948, to "Dear Mr. [Sam] Moskowitz," signed "Olaf Stapledon," written on Waldorf-Astoria stationery. Declines an invitation to "the meeting and to dinner on Sunday next. Since arriving in this country, I have been desperately rushed, and indeed have not had a spare half hour to deal with my correspondence. It would have pleased me very much to accept, but unfortunately I have to be in Boston on that evening, to lecture, and must regretfully refuse ... I feel that my negligence is inexcusable, but really I have had an extremely busy few days, and am wondering whether I can survive the wild rush of American life until I leave for England by plane on Monday!" Stapledon spent eleven days in the U.S. where he participated in the Cultural and Scientific Congress for World Peace. "As the sole Western European admitted to the conference, he was not only in constant demand for interviews but had been asked to help open the proceedings with a speech at a black-tie dinner in the Waldorf's grand ballroom. A packed itinerary left him little time to take in what was happening, but the luxury of his surroundings amused and disgusted him. The hotel was 'full of extravagantly wealthy people,' Olaf told Agnes, and a microcosm of the whole 'air-conditioned civilization' of America" (Crossley, p. 371). For an account of Stapledon's visit to America, see Crossley. Olaf Stapledon: Speaking for the Future (1994), pp. 369-81. Faint mailing folds, else fine. Accompanied by the mailing envelope. (#96354)

No comments:

Navigation

You're at "Chrispy's Antiquarian Horror Page".
_____

Go Back to Original HPL blog
_____

_____